Hello, Jan here. I recently had a really bad high. I had a craving for sugar so I ate about 20 grapes and some snakes as I settled down to watch the evening movie. Well, that little treat spiked my blood sugar so high I really thought I would have to go to hospital (and I probably should have looking back now). I laid in bed for the rest of the night, and the next day feeling like hell.
I'm not on insulin tablets and it's very, very rare I have an episode like that. But it was so bad I never want to feel like that again so I've got an appointment with my new (fabulous) GP and we'll work out if I need to be on them.
But, after a few days when I finally felt normal again, it got me thinking. Just because I've got T2 diabetes doesn't mean I can't have a treat every now and then. So I started researching across the web and I came across Diabetes Australia's recipes for desserts. And boy do they look good! Here's one I made recently - Baked Custard Pots - yum, yum, yum!
To Prep: 10 minutes (makes 6 servings)
To Cook: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- olive oil spray
- 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons custard powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons sultanas
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 160C (315F) and lightly spray 6 ramekins with oil.
- Combine the sugar and custard powder in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg white and vanilla.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the sugar mixture and whisk to combine.
- Heat the milk in a saucepan over low heat for 3-4 minutes until hot (but not boiling).
- Gradually pour the milk into the egg mixture, whisking until well combined.
- Divide the sultanas evenly between the ramekins and pour over egg mixture; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Place ramekins in a baking dish and pour boiling water into baking dish until halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake for 1 hour or until set. Allow the ramekins to cool before serving.
Family Food for Diabetes, Melinda Morrison
Fancy a sweet treat - here are some recipes - treat yourself and enjoy!