Nutty Carrot Cake Bars
For those of you looking for something sweet and that don't mind cooking we'll share some of our favourite low carb/low sugar recipes on a regular basis. We'll end 2017 on a high note with these SIMPLY DELICIOUS Nutty Carrot Cake Bars. Enjoy!
Serves 12 (Carbs total 12gm, sugar 6gm)
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute* equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1/3 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 recipe Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over the edges of the pan. Lightly coat foil with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, and salt. Add carrot, 1/2 cup of the nuts, the eggs, oil, and milk. Stir just until combined. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool bars in pan on a wire rack.
- Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of the pan. Spread top evenly with Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup nuts. Cut into 20 bars.
- To store: Layer bars between waxed paper in an airtight container. Cover; seal. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Tip: To toast nuts, spread in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden, shaking pan once or twice.
Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup frozen light whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 of an 8-ounce package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Beat in yogurt until smooth. Fold thawed whipped topping into cream cheese mixture.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:PER SERVING: 121 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 5 mg chol., 64 mg sodium, 12 g carb. (1 g fiber, 6 g sugars), 3 g pro.